SIGN IN | REGISTER

Little confused

admin
Posted by Studentbox user
on 09/10/2017 at in  ATAR/WACE
So I was browsing the web looking for information in regards to WACE and atar but everything I have read doesn't really clarify my questions. I was just wondering that if perhaps you don't pass like lets say all your WACE exams will you end up failing the year even though after your end of year exams you were passing? And do the WACE exams change your school mark or just determine your atar score?? I have asked many teachers and peers but they all give me different answers, could someone just please give me a clear answer. Thanks in advance for any help.
P.S. If you have anything else to add in regards to information about WACE and atar that you think I might find helpful it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• admin
    Studentbox User
    I'm not much help unfortunately, but I think WACE exams can't/ don't change your school marks. They are only considering when SCSA calculates your ATAR score. Each WACE exam is worth 50% so I guess the other 50% is based on your school grades (work, assignments, tests, mocks etc.) But if anyone knows answers to these questions it would help. Because I want to know too...
  • admin
    Studentbox User
    From what i know, if you fail your WACE exams, or even if you get lower than your school average for your WACE exam, you will be scaled down. For example, if you have a  65 average for your Human Bio at the end of the year, and in your WACE exam you get below that, you will be scaled down. Hence you are always advised by your teachers to get higher in your WACE exams. Also this is why many schools dont grade students very high in school, so that they could do really well (above their school average) in their WACE exam so that they can get scaled up. Also if you get scaled down badly for your top 4 ATAR subjects, your ATAR will be affected and your ATAR score will not be too good. 
    Hope that helps :) 
  • admin
    Studentbox User
    Sorry for a late reply,
    Q1> I was just wondering that if perhaps you don't pass like lets say all your WACE exams will you end up failing the year even though after your end of year exams you were passing?
    Answer: Ok this question is a little tricky but yes, scaling and results from wace will impact your final grades. I'm not 100% sure if perhaps you failed sem1, passed sem2 and got say a B grade on wace if youd get 1 passing grade or two, the best bet is to just pass at least four subjects for both semesters in year 11 and 3+ in year 12.

Q2> And do the WACE exams change your school mark or just determine your atar score? 
    A: They do not  effect school mark in any way, however they act as a range from 30-70% depending on uncontrollable factors such as interschool scaling, intraschool scaling etc to adjust with your school mark combined to get your final raw score, then this raw score is adjusted on a curve scale with the rest of the state to get your final scaled score.
    Think of it like this:
    School mark + WACE exam mark -> Raw unscaled mark (usually 50-50 contribution from each) -> Moderation -> Scaling
    E.g:
    Lets say you took physics,
    63 school mark + 61 exam mark -> 62 unscaled raw score -> 65 in moderation (i.e your school had too hard tests or something) -> 70 scaled score (adjusted same as any other 65 raw score)